Re: Metal prep started -- reassurance?

To: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Metal prep started -- reassurance?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:49:38 -0700

Jeff McNeal wrote:

> Naw, there's only one "Tiny Tim" and he's no cripple.  He's a beaut.
> Timothy as in the song by the Bueys or however they spelled it.
>
> And THANKS for answering my questions, Joe!!

Oh, you noticed that!  I like to stay away form issues about philosophy on
getting rid of rust on body work.  That is a very subjective
issue.  There are about as many theories as there people to have them.  My own
is to take it to a sand blast company and let them media
blast all the rust, bondo and whatever is lurking under the paint and start
with a clean palate

It may be overkill in some cases (and perhaps in yours) but I like to know
exactly what is there!!

> I'm about to embark on a very slippery slope because I'm getting dangerously
> close to leaving Mrs. Jones as she is and doing a total, frame up
> restoration on Timothy.  Since the frame is ALREADY restored with all-new
> parts and a rebuilt transmission, half the work is done!  But I'm going to
> need literally everything else.  I've already dropped the hint to my wife
> that I want one of those four post lifts to put in the garage.  That way I
> can part TWO Spitfires -- one atop the other!

I think that is the best course of action, if you have both the space and money
to keep both!

> Hey.  How come I've never seen a metallic silver Spitfire?  Hmmmm.
> HMMMMMMM!!!

Have you seen the Macao Spit?  It was (is) silver, and a beautiful race car!

Joe