Re: What the heck is a sealing block?

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What the heck is a sealing block?
From: rtgetzinger@scif.com
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 9:54:08 PDT
Yes, an odd little item that can cause you to really know how to set the
timing on a Spit if you don't install it nearly perfectly. The sealing block
is made out of a soft metal and those threads strip way too easily. The other
odd thing is that between the block and the sealing block you insert a strip
of wood on both sides. I expect this expands and further seals where you
otherwise would not be able to get in sealant or gaskets. The sealing block
goes in after the crank is placed into position. It completes two oil leaking
surfaces- the rim for the oil pan and the front of the block for the front
plate. Don't overtighten the bolts going into the sealing block! If you do
you will have to rectify the stripped threads or purchase a new sealing
block, quite spendy, if you can find one.
Been there, done that, and still get a trickle of oil from that location.
Rob
'74 sealing block-mangled
'76 sealing block-gonna have to do
---------- Original Text ----------

From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, on 08/24/2000 8:27 PM:

It's the piece that goes over the front main cap that seals the sump at the
front of the engine!

Joe