Question on Steering Column Position

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Question on Steering Column Position
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:34:35 -0500
What should the position of the "trafficator cam" be when the steering
wheel/front wheels are
straight ahead? My right turn signal almsodt never self cancels with the cam
centered at 12:00. It seems to me that is should be at 9 o'clock, between the
turn signal switches, so that it will cancel either side about 1/4 turn of the
wheel in either direction. However, if I set it that way, then my steering
column lock doesn't engage unless the wheel is turned a quarter turn to the
right (cam at 12:00). I guess the question is, is a Spit column lock supposed to
engage with wheels in the straight ahead position, or are you supposed to turn
the wheels a quarter turn after key removal to lock?

Bob Waid
71 Mark IV