RE: ZS Dashpot oil Mystery...

To: "'Dave Chu'" <dave@ece.concordia.ca>,
Subject: RE: ZS Dashpot oil Mystery...
From: "JM Weber" <weberjm@teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:59:56 -0700
This from Sir Atwell Haines, the legendary one...

Take a pencil, cut off the eraser end, so as to have no metal that will mar
your precious housing.
Remove the Damper Assembly.
Remove the diaphram (watch the alignment tabs etc for re-assembly).
Remove the needle from the piston.
Take pencil and put it in the hole that the needle assembly came out of.
Push up.  The whole thing will pop out of the bore...washer and all.  Do
this over a clean rag/newspaper so as to catch all the stuff.  Washer is
very hard to find new, so make sure you don't lose it!.

Here is his original to me that I followed...works like a charm.

---insert starts here---
This post from Charlie Brown, Spitfire Pilot, May 1998:

>Take out the piston, remove the needle, and using a 1/4" wooden dowel, or
unsharpened pencil

>tap the adjuster back up the bore and out the top. Be careful not to
>lose the star washer that will come out first. It's small, and probably
>damn near impossible to replace (just a guess). Replace the O-ring,
>reinsert the adjuster in the top of the bore, set the star washer back
>on top and drive the whole assembly back down the bore--the adjuster
>will keep the star washer square to the bore.

Good luck, it's not too hard.