Re: RE: One day, 2 Island, 3 Nation Tour (long)

To: <dmitchel@ford.com>
Subject: Re: RE: One day, 2 Island, 3 Nation Tour (long)
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, Aug 29 2000 10:02:23 GMT-0600
>> So the Walpolians (ites, utes?) are a separate nation and
>> thus pay no taxes,
>> do not vote in our elections, and most importantly do not
>> receive any US
>> federal monies for programs in their nation?
>>
>> RH...just a curious reactionary...
>>

>Not sure whether or not they pay taxes, but if they do,
>it isn't to the US. You go through customs after leaving
>the island, not upon arriving.
>
>Doug

I had a co-worker who was a Native American. It was very interesting to learn
that he couldn't get a U.S. passport as being a Native American, he's not
considered a U.S. citizen. Also, he had a green card to work off the
reservation.

Yet, at the same time, he told me how as a kid, growing up and going to school
for some years on a reservation, the teachers wouldn't allow them to speak in
their native language-he used to get hit by them for it. He said the anglo
teachers taught only in English-and no histories of their tribes. And it
started to die out. He's very involved today in keeping the language and
stories alive.

Pretty amzing,eh? Especially when one considers that in some schools in
Southern California, they had their classes in Spanish, English and Vietnamese!
(My cousins in Santa Ana/Tustin went to a school like that-everything took
forever as it had to be translated over and over!)

My friend didn't say anything to me about taxes on the reservation-and I used
to live a mile from the Apache reservation in Arizona-and I don't remember.
Though reservations are generally considered to be lands of that Nation.

Hope this helps...

Laura G.