Re: Tranny oil

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tranny oil
From: "M. E. Foster" <foster_m@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:36:59 -0500
Bradley D Richardson wrote:

> Before I put my finished seats back in my 79 Spit, before I put the
> carpet back, I want to change the tranny's oil.  The tranny is in good
> shape, with 89,000 miles on it.  I'm thinking about synthetic oil, but
> I'm wondering what the collective expertise is in this area.  Should I go
> with synthetic, or just regular?  Any brand preferred?
>
> Brad
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Some synthetic oils appear to contain additives that are corrosive to parts made
from certain types of metals. I wish I could quote the exact source of this
information, but it has been a while since I stumbled across it. One of the more
informative web sites on the subject of synthetic motor oil is
www.redlineoil.com. They go out of their way to point out that their
transmission lubricant MT-90 is not corrosive. I tried MT-90 in a new Miata last
year and I didn't like the result. It produced noticeable gear clash when
shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th when the transmission was at operating
temperature. I assume it was the result of the synchronizers not grabbing
because of the slipperiness of the oil. I changed to Mobil 1 and got the same
results. After putting up with it for a week or so, I changed again to Valvoline
semi-synthetic 80W90 and the problem went away. I just bought a '76 Spit with OD
transmission and I need to change all of its bodily fluids. I think I'm going to
stick with non-synthetic oil in the transmission and differential.