pulling the harmonic balancer on a buick

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: pulling the harmonic balancer on a buick
From: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:29:05 -0400
OK, its not LBC but it is car related.

I have been rooked into doing the timing on my moms 91 Buick Park Ave.  With
a 3.8 ltr V-6.  Not too hard of a job.  However the harmonic balancer is
designed to be held on by a large bolt (already got it off) and then pulled
off by hand.  Sounds great in theory, but as most of you probably know.  It
doesn't happen that way.  I am sure during the past nine years the balancer
has rusted together.   Unfortuneately, it doesn't have any bolt holes to
mount a balancer puller to.   It does have three slots 1" wide and a 1/4"
thick equally spaced around the balancer,  I hooked some S hooks into those
slots last night and used them with the puller.  While I "think" I pulled it
out about an 1/8" I am not sure.  The S hooks gave way and dashed my hopes.
I have liberally applied wd-40 (sorry no pb-blaster) and will be taking this
back on after work.

Any suggestions on removing this would be greatly appreciated, as I have no
desire to still be doing this job one week from now.

Here for the duration.

Patrick Bowen
Columbus Ohio - Any listers living near here???