Re: wheel studs

To: ckigar <ckigar@sound.net>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel studs
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2000 11:16:43 -0500
Chip,

The vice (vise to the Americans?) method is the only way I know.  Use a socket
 with an o/d slightly smaller than the cup housing to press the cups in all the
 way.  Press one slightly beyond its circlip groove, fit the circlip, then
 press the opposite one back to force the first one right up against its
 circlip - you should then be able to fit the opposite circlip.  If you are way
 off fitting the opposite circlip, then you have probably lost a roller, which
 is now sitting at the bottom of the cup holding it off the spider a little.

I remember having to use almost all my strength on the vice handle to get the
 old cups out.  Getting the new ones in wasn't so stiff, particularly with a
 little oil to help them slide in place.  If you are having real problems, it
 is possible the bores you are trying to press the cups into are damaged.

MAKE SURE that all your circlips are in properly.  You DO NOT want a cup
 falling out while you are driving - the UJs don't just transmit the torque
 along the shaft, they locate the driveshaft; the driveshaft locates the wheel,
 and without a UJ your wheel will flop all over the place.  Mine fell out while
 I was doing 70 mph round a bend in the dual carriageway (UK equivalent of
 hihgway) - not fun.

Good luck!

Richard & Daffy