Re: wheel studs

To: "Chip Kigar" <ckigar@sound.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel studs
From: "John & Judy Tones" <jtones@home.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:49:57 -0700
Hi Chip,

> Well, I've been working on straightening out misc. rear end noises on my
'80
> spit.  I took the axles into a gent with a 25 ton press and had him press
> the hubs off, then I replaced the bearings.  I haven't tightened down the
> axle nuts yet.  The measure to the 'flinger' cup SEEMS to be right at 5
3/4.
> How critical is this measure?  I DO NOT want to loose a wheel... any
> comments/advice appreciated.

The position of the bearing on the axle is what is important.  The flinger
cup just needs to be tight against the hub to keep dirt out.

> Presently, I'm struggling with seating the caps on the u-joints.  Forcing
> them into the holes with a vise is proving to be difficult.  Is there any
> trick to this?

The u-joints are very sensitive to the caps being straight in the yoke.  You
might try starting them in by tapping gently with a hammer, then use a vise.
Be careful not to chew up the seals when doing this.

> My next concern in with the wheel studs.  One of them FELL OUT a few
minutes
> ago.  It seems to have been a press fit.  Should I be concerned?  Will the
> lug nut draw it safely back into place?  ANY and all tips regarding this
and
> the whole hole I've dug GREATLY appreciated!

No worries about the wheel studs, they will pull in when you tighten the lug
nuts.

Cheers,

Robb Tones