head gasket

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: head gasket
From: "Mike Chambers" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 08:38:37 -0700
I think my head gasket blew out yesterday. The engine is a 72 1296, I went
to the store, backed into a stall and noticed a lot of steam out the
exhaust.  I also noticed that the idle was rough. I pulled the plug wires
one at a time and found # 1 made little difference when pulled. It seemed to
fun fine on the road.  When I got home, I pulled # 1 plug out, the tip was
wet and steam came out of the plug hole.  Funny thing is compression is
equal on all cylinders. Does this sound like a head gasket or maybe a crack?
Anyone else had a head gasket let go?  The engine and head was completely
overhauled about 4000 miles ago. The head was redone and resurfaced smooth.
I guess I'll pull it today and take a look.
MikeC