Re: Lucas (GM HEI) ignition questions

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Lucas (GM HEI) ignition questions
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:24:42 -0500
I should clarify that the capaciter, and the thingie that looks like a
capaciter are in the black lucas
box on the firewall.  They all appear to be factory installed.

But, your notion of radio suppression probably is it.  Lucas (or Triumph) put
coaxial shielding on the leads going to the distributor pickup coil.  As if
that needs it!  Of course, they blithly left the tachometer signal wire
unshielded, right by the radio antenna lead under the dashboard.  Go figure!

Hmm, the other thingie could be another capaciter that has simply gone
bad...that could explain a few running symptoms.  In light of your suggestion,
I could certainly see Lucas installing a capaciter on each leg in  misplaced
terror of radio interference.

>>> Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> 11/06 11:00 AM >>>
Nolan,
That capacitor is probably something someone added to suppress RF noise from
the radio!

Joe

P.S. Of course Lucas units are poorly assembled!  It comes from working in the
dark!