Re: Problems w/bleeding brakes

To: "Ron Deaver" <rrdeaver@emagichappens.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Problems w/bleeding brakes
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:13:05 -0800
Ron,

For some reason, Mityvac forgot to inform you in their instructions that air
can leak in around the threads of the bleed screw when it's loosened.  If
you're stuck doing this as a one man operation, speed bleeders are a good
investment, or short of that, just smear a dollop of grease around the
threads of the bleeder valves while you work on each wheel.

I had this exact same problem that you experienced, but didn't yet realize
that the problem was the thread leakage.  I gave up trying to use the
Mityvac after about ten minutes and called my 16-year-old to come out and
pump the brake pedal.  Much easier, much faster.  I've heard very positive
feedback on the speedbleeders.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!