Clock mounting

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clock mounting
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 06 Nov 2000 08:02:09 -0600
After my adventures last week, losing my toolbox on the way home from the TRGB
 Autojumble (see True Gentleman!), I did actually manage to come home with some
 stuff from TRGB, including an old clock (which, with an old radio, a battery
 clamp, and an armrest cost me a fiver!).  This is not a perfect match for the
 other gauges (it is a Keinzle), but it is the right size and reasonably
 similar, and it works (!), so I plan to fit it to Daffy - she's not a tidy
 enough car for me to worry about acheiving perfection, by a long way!!

Anyway, this means I will have to start chopping holes in my dash.  I plan to
 put the clock where the light switch currently sits, between the temp gauge
 and the fuel gauge, so there are 3 nice gauges in a row - the light switch
 moves to the far side of the steering wheel, currently empty.

Anyway, my question - How do I cut the hole to fit the gauge?  Presumably I
 need a hole the diameter of the gauge body, plus a recess the diameter of the
 outer rim, creating a stepped hole, so the gauge is recessed like the others.
 The main hole is no problem - I plan to use an electric jigsaw - but how do I
 create the slightly larger diameter recess?  I suppose the perfect answer is
 to use a router, but I don't own one, nor do I really want to spend the money
 on one to fit a clock that cost me a fraction of a fiver.  I do own a couple
 of electric hand drills as well as the jigsaw, but that's about it for power
 tools.  Can I get an attachment for a drill that will do it for me?  If I try
 that have I got a hope in hell of keeping a straight-ish (or rather a
 smooth-ish-ly curved) line, and even depth?  What else could I do?  Can
 routers be rented, and if so, for what sort of money?

Richard and Daffy (got me tunes now, just want to know the time!)