Re: Quietness, carb needles, Supercharging and triumph spares

To: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Quietness, carb needles, Supercharging and triumph spares
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:41:41 -0500
"T. .R. Dafforn" wrote:
> a Triumph herald (spit engine) and vitesse (GT6 engine) with a
> supercharger. I think that the initial price tag of 1200 pounds can be
> cut drastically.
> The way I see it you need.
> 1) HS4 carburetter (got 2 of these already)

  ...the carb is likely not the same carb you already
have.

  Supercharge applications often require a slightly
different carb that has the float bowl pressurized
by the supercharger.

  When a normal engine is running, the vacuum created
by the carb venturi is what "sucks" the fuel through
the jet. Of course what actually happens is that the
atmospheric pressure in the float bowl "pushes" the
fuel through the jet.

 (the same way the atmosphere pushes the soda pop into
your mouth when you create a vacuum with a straw)

  If the air in the intake is pressurized by the
supercharger, even the "lower pressure area" at
the jet is still above atmosphere, and fuel will
not be delivered.

  The later MG Metro Turbo cars used a turbocharged
A-series, basically the same as the pre-1500 Midgets. They
had a single carb but it was airproof, had threaded
fittings everywhere that were sealed, and the breather
was tied to the turbo output.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca