Re: O/D Solenoid "Click"

To: Ree Gurley <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: O/D Solenoid "Click"
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:36:16 -0500
Ree Gurley wrote:
>    My question: Does this reflect the normal operation of the J-type
> solenoids?  I.e., a fairly quiet click when it actuates & no sound when it
> releases?

  That sounds reasonable.

  The click is very soft.

  In older LBCs, the solenoid actually threw a lever valve outside
the tranny innards so there was a lot more motion and a big click.

  The J-type uses a modern hydraulic valve, the motion is
only a small metal cylinder inside the brass solenoid
housing, which is inside the tranny case and soaking in
oil.

  So... not much of a click really. When testing my
J-equipped MG Midget I had to disconnect my centrifugal
fuel pump because with the whirring in the boot area I
couldn't hear the click at all.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca