Rear Spring Questions

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Spring Questions
From: "McKey, Paul" <P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:32:28 +1300
Hi all

Well, after months of worrying about my rear suspension, I've ripped out the
transverse leaf spring and shock absorbers.  As suspected, the 25 year old
museum-destined Girling shocks are a bit stuffed.  The leaf spring was
however a surprise.  The third leaf was clean broken right through the
centre.  So now I have a few questions about the leaf spring.

Firstly, I'm hoping to source another third leaf (about 33in long) here in
New Zealand.  Once I have this, I'll need to check that the spring is "set"
correctly.  I couldn't find any spec'd on this in the Haynes manual.  I
suspect there is a distance specification between the two main spring eyes
that gives the spring the right curve.  Am I right(?) and does anybody know
this setting for a Mk IV/1500 swing type spring?  I have a 1975 1500.

My other question is; where there any conclusions about the composite-type
single leaf springs that were being discussed in a recent thread?  Who makes
them, how much do they cost, etc...

And finally, I mentioned a while ago that I was going to put KYB's in the
rear.  Unfortunately these have never been brought into NZ before by the
distributors.  So to those of you in NZ (and AUS I suspect), your best bet
is Koni's.  Mine arrive tomorrow, NZ$300+gst a pair (~US$120 a pair).

Thanks in advance,

Paul.