Re: Rear Spring Questions

To: "McKey, Paul" <P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: Rear Spring Questions
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 06:13:42 -0800
>Hi all
 The third leaf was clean broken right through the
>centre.  So now I have a few questions about the leaf spring.
Paul,
Don't feel bad. . .this, while probably not a "common" problem, does
happen.  Mine broke but it was the MAIN leaf, the one that bolts to the
diff, and it was broken at the junction of the diff and the spring.  I just
figured that the sharp edge of the diff coupled with the constant flexing
at this junction caused a fatigue area that started to crack and eventually
broke.  Since then I have always given this area on any diff I purchased, a
slight radius before mounting the spring.

As far as a dimension, there is one (don't have it handy, but I doubt it
would really be of that much benefit.  The measurement you really need is
the arch not the overall length through the bolt eyes.  A really tired
spring could very well measure correctly through the bolts, but not have
enough spring left to hold the car up correctly.  I wouldn't think that
springs for the 1500 are that unavailable, or expensive over yonder (but I
could be wrong).  I would say, bite the bullet and just get a new spring -
your really better off.  As far as the composite one. . .well, it makes a
great FIXED spring.  If you were to go that route, then you would no longer
have a "swing spring" (just one of those items rather unique to the
Spitfire, and a neat conversation pieces that you can impress your friends
with :-}).  It would then be necessary to add a camber compensator (and Joe
would love you for this) to alleviate the undesirable handling
characteristics common to this type of suspension design.
>So to those of you in NZ (and AUS I suspect), your best bet
>is Koni's.
The Konis are a great shock, you'll not be disappointed,  I still have the
ones I bought on my car 20 some years ago and they STILL perform well.  The
only thing that is that I wish that I had bough the Spax.  Not that they
are better, but I could now use the adjustable spring seats :-)  I just
didn't like that ugly bright yellow  color they were painted (my own
personal opinion, no flames please although I 'spose I could have just
repainted them :-})!

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)