Overdrive delay

To: <spitfires-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive delay
From: "Jonas Giersing" <jonas@giersing.dk>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:09:45 +0100
Dear all,

I recently purchased a Spitfire Mrk. IV fitted with a 1500 engine and
equipped with overdrive (J-type). It runs great, but sometimes there's a
substantial delay from the moment I activate the overdrive till it actually
engages. The delay can sometimes be as long as 10 seconds (or more) and
usually occurs when the engine is warm. It happens both in 3rd and 4th gear,
but probably mostly in 3rd. I was hoping somebody might have an explanation
for this. I am thinking it may either be a technical problem or I am using
it in a wrong way, i.e. activating it too late or too soon?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jonas Giersing
Copenhagen, Denmark
Spit IV/1500