Bleeding Brakes: SpeedBleeders and sizes

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Bleeding Brakes: SpeedBleeders and sizes
From: Ron Deaver <rrdeaver@emagichappens.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:46:01 -0800
Thank you to everyone on the list that helped out with my brake bleeding
woes.  I am convinced.  Vacuum pumps are not for bleeding brakes.  The
*only* way to go is by using SpeedBleeder valves.

The folks at SpeedBleeder are wonderful.  When I mentioned that I had a
1980 Spitfire, they told me that there is a debate over what size valves to
use on the vehicle.  The offered to send me all 3 possible sizes to try,
sending the unused set back at no cost.

The sizes that match perfectly to those that came with my rebuilt calipers
and new rear cylinders are...

Front Calipers:  SB3824L (3/8" x 24)
Rear Cylinders:  SB3824HD (3/8" x 24)

The "HD" stands for Harley Davidson.  The valves are slightly longer than
the standard SB3824.  The SB3824 will also work, but the HD model is about
1/8" longer and is the perfect match.  I ironically ended up using the
SB3824 because I already opened the package, and the HD was not that much
longer.  The valves install with a standard 3/8" wrench.

A set of 4 valves will set you back $31.00 with shipping, but is well worth
the time you save.  Fifteen minutes and I had a perfect DOT5 brake system
(separate long writeup on that one to follow).

The folks at Speedbleeder can be reached at 888 879 7016, and their website
is www.speedbleeder.com.

Cheers,

Ron Deaver
1980 Russett Brown Triumph Spitfire