Re: It's still alive (sort of)

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: It's still alive (sort of)
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 08 May 2001 07:53:23 -0500
Brian Wrote:
...it was so hip to take my 13 yo son and then my 6 yo son for short rides, top
 down of course, on a cloudless, azure sky. Not too shabby.

and Ray wrote:
...I took my 9 year old daughter out for a glorious ride from our house to the
 Texas Motor Speedway.

You don't even have to be that old to appreciate a Spitfire...

My daughter is almost 20 months old (for those of you who don't have kids, or
 are too old to remember, this means walking, thinking, sort of understanding,
 babbling, but not much talking).  Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed
 that she has started to prefer Daffy to my wifes car ('88 Audi 100 Quattro
 Avant) - when we go out to drive somewhere she always walks towards Daffy and
 stands expectantly beside the passenger door, and has even cried a little when
 led by the hand towards Quentin (Quentin the Quattro!) instead.  I couldn't
 really understand this - why would a toddler, too young to appreciate fully
 the delights of a Spitfire, so clearly prefer the cold, noisy, rattly Daffy
 (and the less comfortable child seat fitted) to the refined Audi?  Also, why
 such a strong preference that has developed over a short period of time?

Then it came to me - the change has co-incided with me picking her up from
 nursery a few times with the top down!  Even at that age, my daughter loves
 roof-less motoring!  Like my wife keeps saying, she's definitely her Father's
 daughter!

At the weekend I tried to teach her the joys of car-washing.  Admittedly, she's
 got a way to go before she's much good at it, but she seemed to get the idea
 of wetting the cloth in the bucket and wiping it over the car (well, the same
 small patch over and over again...).  I think this has only helped to cement
 her preference of Daffy over Quentin.  Hmm, it looks like a nice day again
 today, I think I'll pick her up top-down tonight again....

Richard & Daffy (+ Flora now as well!)

///