Cooling and Oil a couple of questions

To: "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cooling and Oil a couple of questions
From: "Chip Kigar" <ckigar@sound.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:03:22 -0500
I've developed a radiator leak and intend to try some Bar Stop Leak on it
tomorrow, however that really isn't my question... in investigating the
overheating on my '80 spit, I noticed that the electric fan wasn't spinning
although the gauge was nearing the 3/4 mark.  I gave the fan a tap with a
finger and it immediately began to spin.  Can the fan be serviced somehow or
does this signify a $90 replacement?  I notice that the 'OEM' style isn't
available (at least from VB).  If I do have to replace it to ensure
reliability, can I just substitute the 'add on' type as a replacement?  Has
anyone else experienced this?

Secondly,  it seems my worst oil leak seems to be at the bottom of the
timing chain cover.  I decided to give the bolt there a tweak and determined
it's a 'spinner'.. it seems that the threads are shot.  Does this bolt go
into the 'sealing block'?  Does the hole penetrate through to the sump?  I
can't tell from the diagrams.  Has anyone replaced this bolt/hole
arrangement with a nut/stud?  I have seen some folks on here that have
replaced the oil pan bolts with studs that were set into place with red
locktite.  How big a pain is removing the timing chain cover just to replace
the gasket?   It's not a spectacular leak but it is a pretty steady drip.

I would really appreciate any advice or comments.

Chip Kigar

Using the listquest Spitfire search engine for 'oil leaks' or 'cooling'
tends to return an embarrassment of riches...

Visit my Spitfire/DYI circle cutting jig page at:
http://www.sound.net/~ckigar/circle.htm