Re: Hub Removal Tool

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Hub Removal Tool
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:51:54 -0700
Joe,
The dimensions of the tool I use (homemade) are a 1 inch thick aluminum,
5.38 inch outer diameter, 2.50 inch inner diameter (hole), four holes
equally spaced on a 3.75 diameter bolt circle.  (All diameters concentric).
 The four holes are drilled for the lugnuts you would be using, in my case
a .65 dia hole for a 5/8th outer shank diameter lugnut is what I used
This tool allows one to use any large three jaw gear puller.  I have used
this tool many times, with out any failures.  Just don't stand in the path
of the direction of pull, and I always wrap several turns of stout nylon
strapping around the puller with a heavy towel draped over the whole mess
while under tension just in case something should unexpectedly happen -
>Joe Curry wrote:
>>I have a friend here locally who is trying to replace the wheel bearings
on the rear of his Spit.  He can't figure out how to get the hubs off.  I
>>have indicated to him that there is a special tool for removing them, but
he can't locate anyone who has it locally.  <snip>