Re: Cooling system clean and repair

To: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Cooling system clean and repair
From: Atwell Haines <karbuff@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 07:32:20 -0400
Hi John,

At 10:03 AM 7/5/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>The job for this weekend is to fix my cooling system and replace all the
>hoses.  What I plan to do is:
>
>* JBWeld pitted connection for bottom hose
>* Flush the system out with radiator cleaner liquid (Halfords own brand)
>* Replace all rubber hoses
>* Add Leak stopper to cooling system (Halfords own brand)
>* See if leak (possibly water pump/engine gasket) is still leaking, if it
>is then fix from outside using putty stuff that I bought from Halfords
>* wash and polish body (Saskia's, not mine) and go for a nice long drive
>to check that everything is ok and to have fun in the hopefully sunny
>weather!
>* drink beer
>* light bbq
>
>And my question is: Is this a sensible order to do these jobs in?

I dunno, maybe you should add more "drink beer" steps.  :)

IIRC, JB weld does not fully harden instantly.  You may want to wait 24 hrs
before sanding it smooth. Better buy another case of beer.

Also, read the directions on your radiator flush. The kind I use says to
drive the car a bit before emptying the system.  That may also change to
order of your chores. EG, take the ride first!

Something that I don't remember you mentioning in your posts is the coolant
pressure cap. If yours is defective that could lead to hot running.  On the
other hand, if your water pump has a leak and you install a new cap that
provides higher pressure, the leak will be worse!

PS I have had poor results trying to fix leaks from outside... good
luck.  Have an extra beer for me.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA