Manifolds, plastic grill, shocks & horns

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Manifolds, plastic grill, shocks & horns
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 17:15:07 -0700 (PDT)
I pulled-off my intake manifold/carbs because of a
hair-line crack in the intake I had to fix. I also
took off the paint on the intake manifold (not exactly
shiney but the Daytona yellow was a bugger to keep
clean), and replaced the leaky manifold gasket
(actually the securing nuts were snug but not torqued
to the proper level) that was causing adjacent items
on the engine to slowly turn black. I think it is also
why I was having difficulty tuning the carbs recently.

Now, I just re-installed everything, checked all of
the connections and fired her up. When it got to 1/4
hot, I retorqued the securing nuts on the manifolds.
When this thing cools off, am I going to have a
cracked manifold? (The header I'm pretty sure will be
fine). Oh well, I guess I'll find out the next time I
go outside.

Also, to be a show off, this is the
cleaned-no-cracks-manifold and new gasket:
http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/manifold.jpg
Like the blue manifold securing widgets? (DE1601 ford
blue engine paint).

Also, someone on the list suggested using "chrome door
edge trim" on the front grill of the car to duplicate
the chromed grills of early spits, and spiff up that
flat black plastic, and I must say it went on without
too much difficulty and looks sharp. Whomever
suggested it, thanks! (25' roll was $8.99 at Pep Boys)
The grill Pic:
http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/frontocar.jpg

Finally, someone was asking about carrera coil-over
shocks (Tyler?), and horns (?) so I took photos of
those as well:

http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/carrera.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/airhorns.jpg

-Terry
'76 Spitfire 1500

P.S.It's been crappy wave after wave of thunderstorms
for the past few days, but atleast I can DREAM about
driving my spitfire.
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/