motor front plates - 73 versus 77

To: (Recipient list suppressed)
Subject: motor front plates - 73 versus 77
From: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 11:54:53 -0500
I'm trying to combine the best elements of two motors, the 'old' one that
came out of my 77 Spitfire and the one I bought, a 73 motor.

I want to use the motor front plate from the 77, cuz it's in better shape,
but the Vic Brit catalog shows two different part numbers for the front
plate.  One that goes up to 74 and one for after.  Rimmer Brothers show
only one part for all years.  The Roadster Factory has a note that says
they think there are two.

I've compared the two plates and they sure look the same to me.

Does anyone know what the difference might be or if it really matters?  I
want to use the 77 because the 73 has a slight bend at the top.

Thanks.

Jeff Gruber