Re: paint codes

To: J Constantino <jjcon2@yahoo.com>, <mikech@sprynet.com>,
Subject: Re: paint codes
From: "Laura Gharazeddine" <Laura.G@141.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:06:09 -0600
>I believe that Germany has always been silver, not
>white.

They got the silver because once upon a time, Auto Union was
campaigning a white car-but to get it lighter, they stripped the
paint off and left the bare, sliver metal.

>> Back in the days before race cars were plastered as
>> corporate billboards, colors were assigned to
>> countries for international races, so fans could
>> identify and cheer their countrymen.
>>
>> Italy - Red
>> USA - white w/ blue stripes (GT40s)
>> France- Blue (Buggattis)
>> Germany- white
>> Britan - Green (any color, but traditionally dark)
>>
>> British Racing Green.
>>
>> Color was not based on origin of the car. You would
>> see Ferraris painted white w/ blue stripes if it was
>> campaigned by an American team.

Ferraris are red, but the 'team' colour of Italy is azzura! (As in
Frecce Azzuri, the blue of their soccer uniforms and the great
America's Cup yacht-Azzura, etc.) It is the same shade of Bugatti
blue. They sell shirts and stuff that are azzura-and with a little
stripe of red, white and green. I've even seen particularly tifosi
italians paint their cars-azzura-(like the Stradale) with a
pinstriping trim of red, white and green-really quite stunning.

Laura G. "Forza Azzura!!!"