Re: J-type O/D Wiring

To: M Klish <mwk_gjco@hotmail.com>, Spitfire List
Subject: Re: J-type O/D Wiring
From: Dean Rayner <dean_rayner@mac.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2001 15:23:23 +0100
On Thursday, July 12, 2001 2:52 pm, M Klish <mwk_gjco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Dear Listers:
>
>I am installing a J-type O/D in my '74 Spit.  The Haynes Manual shows a
>typical wiring diagram with the O/D switch (on the shifter) wired to the O/D
>solinoid through a "gear-box" switch.
>
>I am planning on installing a relay activated by the shifter mounted O/D
>switch to switch the O/D solinoid.  What is the purpose of the gear-box
>switch??  Do I need to wire it the way shown in the Haynes Manual, or is
>this one of the "safety light features" that can be bypassed??

No!  This is a vital part of the overdrive system.  It prevents the overdrive
being engaged in any gear other than 3rd and 4th.

If O/D is used in 1st or 2nd it will put too much torque through the O/D and
damage it eventually.

If the O/D is engaged when reversing it will destroy it INSTANTLY.

The gearbox switch is just like the reverse light switch and is located roughly
in the same place.

Dean Rayner.