Diff Ratio's and Speedo's

To: "'Spitfires@autox.team.net'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diff Ratio's and Speedo's
From: gfaber@fast.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:11:02 -0400
Hello Spitlisters

Im putting together my basket case 72 spit, I just acquired another
motor for it , a 1500, now Im planning on replacing the
4.11 diff to a 3.89,  I've got a 3 rail tranny,  first question is: Do
the single rail tranny's have the same speedo gearing as
a 3 rail?
This spit has a Jaeger speedo in it now, I know it should be a Smith's
It has a 1248 on it,  Im not sure if it's even correct
for a 4.11 setup,  My 80 spit has a 3.89 with a Speedo that's a 1000,
So basically what's the right combination for  a 3.89
diff and a 3 rail tranny?  anyone else run across this,
Thanks for all the help everyone
Cheers
Gerry
Honey Brook, PA