Re: Diff Ratio's and Speedo's

To: gfaber@fast.net
Subject: Re: Diff Ratio's and Speedo's
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:58:14 -0700
gfaber@fast.net wrote:

> Hello Spitlisters
>
> Im putting together my basket case 72 spit, I just acquired another
> motor for it , a 1500, now Im planning on replacing the
> 4.11 diff to a 3.89,  I've got a 3 rail tranny,  first question is: Do
> the single rail tranny's have the same speedo gearing as
> a 3 rail?

Yes!  But you will need to change out the Speedo to a later one that is for a
3.89 rear.
And if this is the original MkIV diff with 4.11 gears (and it is in good shape)
you should have no problem selling it to any number of autocrossers.

> This spit has a Jaeger speedo in it now, I know it should be a Smith's
> It has a 1248 on it,  Im not sure if it's even correct
> for a 4.11 setup,  My 80 spit has a 3.89 with a Speedo that's a 1000,
> So basically what's the right combination for  a 3.89
> diff and a 3 rail tranny?  anyone else run across this,

This might be a tip off that the rear 4.11 is from an older car.  Someone
probably swapped the rear with an early Spit and used the original speedo
that came with the diff to keep it reading right.  And if so, forget what I
said about the diff and autocrossers.  The early ones are very plentiful!

I have a 3.89 Smiths speedo that I will let go for $50.  It came out of a '75
1500.

Regards,
Joe