Finish questions update

To: "Spitfire Bulletin Board (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Finish questions update
From: "St.John, Kenneth" <ken.stjohn@hexcel.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:42:31 -0700
Thanks for all of the input on my little chrome mishap.  I stopped by my
local hardware store on the way home last night and picked up a kit with two
buffing wheels, an arbor for an electric drill, and two kinds of buffing
compound.  Very similar to the Caswell kit - about 17 bucks.

I put some heavy cardboard between the bumper and the rear of the car and
removed the name plate so I could test the process in a place that would be
covered up.  I used a white buffing compound.  I then did a final polish
with Haggerty 100 - kind of industrial strength toothpaste - and a wool pad.
I rubbed the whole thing down with aluminum foil 'cuz the idea intrigued me.
End result - pretty darned good.  It's good to have something go right!

Later on I took a buffing wheel and tripoli to a piece of aluminum channel I
had - wow - I wonder what I can polish on the car?????

Ken St.John
'74 Spitfire 1500 "Ginger"