Towing a 78 Spit

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Towing a 78 Spit
From: "James H. Moore" <jhmoore@uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 11:31:19 -0500
Greeting all.

I've been a lurker for about a month but it's official, I've just
"inherited" a 78 Spit with 80K miles that's been stored in a friend's
garage for three years after the previous owner moved out of town. The
garage owner is moving now and I've received my first LBC for free if I can
tow it away during the next few weeks. I'm just wondering about some
specifics when I tow this thing about 3 miles to my house. Do I need to
remove the drive shaft since the rear wheels will drive the transmission
which will not be lubricated since the engine/clutch is not revolving (I
think I got the right). I don't have the Haynes manual (yet) but I do have
a fairly decent set of tools, how many points of attachment and what will
be involved in taking the drive shaft off.

When I saw the car about two months ago it seemed fairly good shape engine
and body wise, very little rust but I wasn't giving it a thorough
inspection - didn't know what to look for then and barely do now. The
garage owner said that it had problems electrically - he says it went
through about one battery a year. My goal is to get this thing running
before the cold weather sets in so I'll be inquiring from the group's
collective wisdom on occasion.

My wife and I are so excited.

Jim Moore
jhmoore@uiuc.edu