Re: Towing a 78 Spit

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <jhmoore@uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Towing a 78 Spit
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 06:48:16 -0400
No, you don't *need* to remove the driveshaft.  You can count on the
lubrication that is
lying in the bearings of the output shaft.  Is it enough?  That's always the
question.  I've
towed Spitfires for upwards of hundred miles, after they had sat for months.
No problems
encountered.  But I'm aware of the fact that I'm gambling.

Tow dolly from U-Haul is about $40.  Full tow trailer is about $50.  Spitfire
will fit on either.
Full trailer is a whole lot easier to back up with.

Driveshaft removes with four bolts at the differential.  The car is low, so
you'll need to jack
it to remove the bolts.  You can wire the driveshaft up in place to keep the
oil from draining
out of the transmission.  But again, it's a gamble that you've fastened it well
enough to not
fall off.

>>> "James H. Moore" <jhmoore@uiuc.edu> 07/21 12:31 PM >>>
Greeting all.

I've been a lurker for about a month but it's official, I've just
"inherited" a 78 Spit with 80K miles that's been stored in a friend's
garage for three years after the previous owner moved out of town. The
garage owner is moving now and I've received my first LBC for free if I can
tow it away during the next few weeks. I'm just wondering about some
specifics when I tow this thing about 3 miles to my house. Do I need to
remove the drive shaft since the rear wheels will drive the transmission
which will not be lubricated since the engine/clutch is not revolving (I
think I got the right). I don't have the Haynes manual (yet) but I do have
a fairly decent set of tools, how many points of attachment and what will
be involved in taking the drive shaft off.