SU Carb problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Carb problem
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:06:50 -0700 (PDT)
I have a problem where in the rear carb on my spitfire
(two SUs) floods causing fuel to choke off the engine
as well as flow out of the over-flow tube. Where it
then drenches the fire-wall and the frame rail under
the overflow tube. (I can tell when it's stuck because
the electric fuel pump starts pumping like there's no
pressure in the line and doesn't stop even at idle
(where there is little flow needed). It's a regulated
fuel pump and I have a pressure gauge so I can also
see if it's just sucking in the gas and the pressure
is okay ~3 PSI.

It only does it occasionally. (every 4th or 5th time
that I drive it). And goes away if I pull over and tap
on the bottom of the carb float bowl or turn off the
car (or stall it) and turn it back on again.

I installed new jets & bearings when I rebuilt the
carb last year. But one of the floats is the original.
The float level was set correctly when I'd pulled it
off recently (last month I think).
I'm going to pull it off tonight and see if
something's been cought in the jet or if the float has
been bent or catching on something.

Anyone else experience this problem? Anything else I
should check for or recommedations to keep it from
continuing this? They don't make Gross jets for SU's
do they?

-Terry
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/