Re: SU Carb problem update

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU Carb problem update
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:38:29 -0700 (PDT)
Well, there you have it. Want to guess what kind of
SU's I've got? Dual HIF's.

I pulled off the carb and inspected it. Everything
looks fine. Float isn't leaking. No sediment. The
float was adjusted a little high (~.055"-.060"
clearance). The only real issue was that the needle
valve seemed to be binding in the seat.

These are both new (when you buy a float needle, it
comes with a new seat.) But I could tap the valve up
inside the seat and it wouldn't come back down again
when you turn it upside down (unless you shook it). It
also appeared to bind slightly when tapping it up into
the seat.

After spraying some carb cleaner in it, whiping it
clean, running it under water (so the carb cleaner
doesn't tear up the rubber tip) and whiping again, it
(needle valve) appears to be moving fine again.

Maybe the fuel got sticky? Turned to laquer? (I don't
use the car at all in the winter.) Well, I'll put the
carb back on and if you don't hear me complain again,
that fixed it.

-Terry

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/