RE: Final Touch to front suspension

To: "'T. .R. Dafforn'" <td214@cam.ac.uk>,
Subject: RE: Final Touch to front suspension
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:29:11 +0100

Hi Tim,
        Tighten everything with the wheels on the ground - in fact, wheels
on the ground and rolled around to settle everything to it's normal static
position.

> 2) The car had no shims for alignment at all, can I assume that the
> alignment will now be completely wrong and I will have to pay
> someone to
> do an alignment job?

You can get a fairly good approximation without any sophistaicated alignment
equipment. You need to ensure that your rear wheels run with no toe-in or
toe-out - measure this by holding a length of straight steel (angle iron or
tube of some sort) across the centre of the rear wheel in the horizontal
plane and ensure that it runs parallel to the sill on each side. If the
angle tapers to the front then you need to add shims, taper to the rear will
need removal of shims. The front suspension camber angle can be measured by
holding a spirit level vertically against the front wheel. Easy to set this
for 0 degrees camber, but any other angle is a matter of judgement - most
people find slight negative camber (angled in at the top) beneficial to
handling. In my experience I find it best to set up for 0 degrees then add
one shim to give very slight negative camber - then again, I'm not going
racing! Steering alignment is less straightforward and I usuall set this by
eye to get the car on the road, then have it adjusted professionally.
        Cheers,
                Bill.

    /============\
 _/                \_     If you prick us, do we not bleed?
/  \______________/  \    If you tickle us, do we not laugh?
\__/ _____  _____ \__/    If you poison us, do we not die?
|    \    ||    /    |    and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?