Re: Spitfire 1500 Seats

To: <StuCohen@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 Seats
From: "Mike Chambers" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:59:45 -0600
Its possible the original color of your seats has changed from the effects
of the sun and the elements.
MikeC

> Hi,
>
> I have decided to confront a major issue that all Spitfire owners must at
face some point...restoration of my seats.  I opted to go with the beige
houndstooth pattern to keep with originality, and ordered the whole megilla,
seat foams and all, from Victoria British.  However, the color of the vinyl
in their kit was significantly different enough from the original that if I
replaced the seats, they would be a distinctly different color from the rest
of the interior.  I've tried all the usual suspects (Spit Bits, Motorhead,
etc.) for color samples of their seat kits and they've all come back with
the same color.  Apparently they all get their seat covers from the same
manufacturer in Britain, and they tell me that's the only manufacturer of
houndstooth covers in the world.  The color I've been getting is more of a
"darker tan-brownish" beige, and the original is more of a "lighter
orangish" beige.  I'm sure it's just a dye lot variation issue, and if I
kept checking periodical!