Yoweeee! and a question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Yoweeee! and a question
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 21:33:55 -0400
After rebuilding both SU carbs (thanks to Joe Curto, "Mr. SU"), I fired up
Nigel and took him for a ride this afternoon.  His engine now goes
"Vroooooooooooommmmmm" instead of "Vrooobroobrobrbrobrbbbrrbr".  Smooth
power up the rev range, like a 6 oughta'.

Now for my question.  The exhaust has a major resonance at about 2300-2500
rpm.  It is quite loud inside the car, loud enough to be a real irritant.
Is this normal?  (The muffler is new, BTW.  The previous motorcycle-style
"straight pipe" was embarrasing.  Nigel is red enough to attract far too
much attention already.)  Should I look for something amiss, or improveable,
in the exhaust hangers?  Or is it just something I'll have to live with?

Tanks!

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
'80 Spitfire (Percy)