Re: Ok, I'm stumped

To: Ben Miller <no1-bronco-fan@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Ok, I'm stumped
From: Atwell Haines <Karbuff@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 22:15:06 -0400
At 11:36 PM 9/7/2001 -0700, Ben Miller wrote:
>  Bitsy started lugging and stalling, acting like
>she was out of gas.

>The questions:
>First, how can you tell how much gas is in the tank without a gauge? I'm
>not sure mine is reliable.

One way is to remove the sending unit, and look into the tank. (Don't try
this just after filling up, however.) Make sure you have 150 miles or so on
the tank!  ;-O

I don't think you can insert a stick into the filler cap to measure the gas
-- there is something that blocks it IIRC.

>Second, if the gauge is ok, does anyone have any ideas what this might
>be. She acts exactly like she's out of gas.

Ignition.

>Third, could it be the Lucas ignition system? I've been told by a fellow
>spitfire owner that it might be the ignition.

Absolutely! You have described the classic failure mode of the electronic
ignition module.  First it refuses to work when hot, then fails to "provide
joy" at all.

You could do either of the following tests when it fails to run:

1: Check for spark by having someone crank the engine while you hold a
spark plug wire 1/4 inch from the engine block.  CAREFUL!  If the ignition
is working you could get a good jolt!

2: Check for fuel, by disconnecting the line to the carb (rear side on a ZS
150) and seeing if it flows into a bottle or can when someone cranks the
engine.  CAREFUL! Don't spill the gas, you are working over the exhaust
manifold....

>Fourth, could it be the carb itself, even though she runs and idles just
>fine at all other times?

Not likely.  More likely you have a clogged fuel filter or bad gas line.

If it was me, I'd invest in a Crane or Petronix ignition.

Regards,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire (with Crane X700)
Succasunna, NJ USA