Re: Off Topic - War

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Off Topic - War
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:37:56 +0100
In article <200109111545.AA542834892@141.com>, Laura Gharazeddine
<Laura.G@141.com> writes

>You know, people who commit such acts do them because they feel
>horribly disenfranchised and completely between a rock and a hard
>place. Find the exact people responsible for this act on the WTC,
>and work to make the situations better for the rest-so that they
>won't feel the need to commit such acts in the future. As long as
>people feel in that situation, there'll always be twice as many
>volunteers to fill the shoes of suicide bombers and terrorists.

You are so right.   I have never been terribly impressed with your
current President (I believe few outside the US are), and I am terrified
that he will prefer "glorious vengeance" to seeking a solution.   If, as
he and other world leaders are saying, these despicable acts were
attacks on Freedom and Democracy, then let us not lose sight of the fact
that Justice, not Vengeance, is at the root of both.   Let us hope that
your government catches the evil men who plotted these attacks, puts
them on trial, and punishes those found guilty appropriately.   Let us
hope that your government does not, as I have seen suggested elsewhere,
bomb Palestine or Afghanistan to rubble.   That would not be justice.
That would not be democracy.   That would not be worthy of a great
nation.

It has long been considered by analysts that the aim of those who commit
terrorism in the United States is to provoke a despotic response from
the American government.   To destroy all those things for which America
is a symbol - Freedom, Justice, Democracy, Liberty.   If your government
reacts to these atrocities with anything other than calm dispassion, and
even-handed justice, then the terrorists will have achieved far more
than terror; they will have destroyed everything America stands for.

Let us hope that all the governments of the world can work together to
change forever the circumstances that lead people to believe that
terrorism is the only way their grievances will be listened to.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those who fell victim to these
horrific attacks.   Let justice be done to their murderers, and let no
more innocent lives be taken in a search for vengeance.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"