re: 1970 Spitfire Details

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: re: 1970 Spitfire Details
From: "Dr. Faustus" <dr_faustus@pcisys.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 03:06:56 -0700
At 01:31 AM 12/7/01 EST, Ar164super@wmconnect.com wrote:
>Michael,
>
>The 1970 Spitfire is unique in that it's sort of a mix between the Mk3 and
>the MkIV, with a few unique bits thrown in just to make life more difficult.
>Here's the breakdown:
>
>- Mk3 bodystyle, bumpers, lights, etc.
>- MkIV interior with no wood, speedo and tach in front of driver
>- One-piece high-back bucket seats (I think these are MkIV issue...)
>
>Unique to the 1970 model year only:
>
>1296cc with Stromberg CD150 and higher compression ratio than the MkIV
>"Bullseye" badge on the front -- impossible to find
>Plastic "Triumph" badge on the trunklid
>Plastic "Spitfire" badges on the rear quarters
>Mk3 convertible top with zip out rear window
>
>Did I miss anything else?
>
>Adam Rodnitzky
>'70 Spitfire Mk3
>'94 Alfa Romeo 164LS
>San Francisco, CA

You are right about the badging, interior, and carb.  The seats are not the
MKIV seats.  They were used for two years in the Spits and GT6's.  The tail
lights are also unique (And as plentiful as the bullseye badge), but the
standard MK1-3 lenses will fit.  The frame for the top is one year only as
well.  It is slightly taller to clear the high back seats.  This is why the
top is one year only (Not just for the rear window zipper).  You can fit
earlier MK3 soft tops, but they won't fit as well.  You can switch to an
early MK3 top frame, but you've seats will have to be fairly verticle to
raise and lower.  If you want a tonneau cover, it's a one year piece as
well.  As far as emmisions go they should have a cannister in the boot for
gas fumes.  They also should be plumbed for a single carbon cannister
(Although this feature may have only been on california cars).  They have
front side lamps which earlier MK3's don't (I believe these started in
'69).  The dash should be a plywood dash with a black contact sheet over it
(This started in '69).  Plastic dashes from MK4's are a common replacement.
 Visually they should have a flat black windshield frame as well.

The book "Spitfire and GT6: A Guide to Originality" is an excellent source
for the differences between all years of cars.  It focuses on the british
cars, but most things transfer over to the stateside cars.

Andy L.
'70 Spit