Looking for a Frame

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Looking for a Frame
From: "Michael Berry" <michael.h.berry@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:50:45 -0800
Greetings Listers. This is my first contribution to the list, but I've
followed your questions, advise and comments for awhile with great interest.
Lots of good info. I'll no doubt need later. After about 20 years without a
LBC ('71 Midget) I finally have what I really wanted, a Spitfire. Found a nice
1977 - 1500 in reasonable condition, about 80,000 miles, good mechanicals, the
right price, etc. All LBC's seem to have a nickname, so after some discussion,
"Nigel" is the name that stuck. Well tragically, Nigel has hung himself in the
garage.

More to the point, Nigel has more frame rust than I want to fix with weld
patches. Seems upon closer inspection, the protection from the endemic oil
seepage only went half way back and the rear suspension points are pretty
weak. So, no problem, I'll do just a body-off restoration. Plenty of Spitfire
home pages out there, with lots of pictures and when it's done I'll know
everything that went into the stewpot. Now Nigel's cold green body ,hanging
from the rafters, levitates about three feet above the rolling chassis below,
waiting for a transplant.

Does anyone out there know of a clean frame for Nigel. Looks like any of the
1500 series frames ought to fit. Nigel hangs out just north of Detroit, so
from points in the Mid-West we would consider driving or shipping from further
away. Would also consider a more complete parts car as Nigel will probably
need other bits as his resurrection progresses. Any experienced advice or
pitfalls to avoid would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Berry

Michael.H.Berry@worldnet.att.net