Re: (no subject)

To: <JohnZissler@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: (no subject)
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 06:34:13 -0800
John,

All Spitfire Mk3's started with the FD designation, I believe.  I have a home
market RHD Spitfire (FD 8862).  The HE stands for high compression engine
(9.0:1), which I believe was reserved for the U.K. market cars, but I could be
mistaken on that one.  It might have been possible to order one for export to
the states with a high compression engine and perhaps that's the origin of
your car, but for some reason it wasn't delievered.  You didn't say what year
it was, either, but my early '67 Mk3 has engine number FD9731HE.  I know that
earlier Spitfires had the option of being purchased with HE engines, but I
THINK that this option was removed beginning with the Mk3's.

Again, I'm not certain of all the facts here, except that you have a high
compression Mk3 engine.

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 project
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Join  the TOTALLY TRIUMPH NETWORK!
Forums, Classifieds, Links & Triumph Merchandise
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net