Re: MPH vs. RPM

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MPH vs. RPM
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 08:16:18 -0500
At 10:59 AM 12/15/01 +0000, Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:

>Having recently replaced the gearbox and speedo cable in my non O/D
>1500, I have noticed that the readings I am getting on the speedo are
>lower for a given engine speed than hitherto.....

>Now, it would be rather handy to know whether I am doing 46 mph, 51 mph
>or 54 mph at 3000 rpm (or rather, to know by what percentage my speedo
>is reading low at a given speed).   Does anyone have a formula to
>convert rpm into road speed for a UK-spec 1500?

Michael,

Measure the height of the tire - the diameter from the ground to the top.
The circumferance is: C= pi * D,  where pi = 3.14....

Do you know the final gear ratio?

Distance = RPM * final ration * C.

But the easiest way is to find a spot on a road where it is marked off
in 1/4 mi., 1/2 mi etc.  Some fixed distance.  If you don't have anything
like that, measure off a distance on your own, with a ruler.  Now travel
that distance at a fixed speed in 4th gear and measure the time it takes
to cover that distance.  The longer the distance the more accurate your
results will be.   V = D/ T   where  V = velosity (mph),  D = distance in
miles, and T = time in hours.

>A corollary to the above question is, "Is there anything I can do to
>calibrate my speedo?"

In many towns there are shops that will calibrate your speedo for you,
or at least give you true readings for specific guage readings.  Look in
your local phone book.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan