RE: UK/Ireland LRP question

To: "'Aidan Corcoran'" <spitfire@acquirer.com>,
Subject: RE: UK/Ireland LRP question
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:01:14 -0000
This was one of the concerns when 4* was first banned and LRP bought in -
that the petrol companies would sell LRP for a few years then quietly fade
it out...

There are fewer and fewer cars on the road using LRP, and many that should
probably use normal unleaded anyway because it is so much cheaper and their
car is so near the grave anyway that it's not worth trying to preserve it.
It's not worth the effort for the big suppliers to cater for this dwindling
market.

The only advice I can think of is to switch to an additive instead, in the
hope that they remain on sale for longer.  Ideally you should switch to an
additive based on the same chemical as Shell LRP (for the same reasons as
not mixing LRPs), but since the oil companies have been very reticent about
the details of their LRPs, and did not submit them for any testing by any
independent body, you will have trouble finding the information to do this.

If you are planning a head job next year, I would just use unleaded until
you get the job done.  Most cars that have had a lifetime of leaded fuel
will last several years before any serious damage is done, and even in that
case the only components that would get damaged are those that are replaced
during the conversion anyway.

If you want to use an additive, the British Federation of Historic Vehicle
Clubs has a list of those that they have had properly, scientifically tested
(and not all those submitted for testing passed!).  There's bound to be a
list on their website (which I do not have the address for).

Richard & Daffy
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email