UK/Ireland LRP question

To: "spitfires \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: UK/Ireland LRP question
From: "Aidan Corcoran" <spitfire@acquirer.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 10:44:26 -0000
I've not really been doing much mileage on my Spit this year, so the last
time I put LRP (Lead Replacement Petrol) in her was sometime over the summer
and at that, it was probably only a tenner's worth. I do not have the
hardened valves installed on the head yet - a job for 2002.

When LRP came out (or at least when the EU told us to stop selling leaded
petrol), I read somewhere that you were supposed to pick one substitute, LRP
or an additive, and stick with it. This also applied to the different
versions of LRP from the different petrol companies.

As such I did this, and chose Shell LRP. In fact the Spitfire ran better on
the LRP than leaded, but I did give the carbs an overhaul around the same
time.

For almost two years now I've been buying Shell LRP, but recently, Shell (in
Ireland anyway) has stopped stocking LRP at any station I've passed in
Dublin. I also suspect that Esso (Exxon) also do not sell LRP in Ireland
anymore.

Anyway, what is my question - are the petrol companies, in the UK and
Ireland in particular, starting to discontinue LRP as part of their standard
offering?

Nollaig shona daoibh go leir,

Aidan
Mk 2 FC 83365