Running rough

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Running rough
From: Jdgar0649@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 19:16:27 EST
Group;
A long time ago I lived in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago-they had a
saying there--"If it ah one ting, is ah next!"  Well, that just about fits-if
it isn't one thing its another.  I am working on getting Frank back on the
road-and he is nearing completion, BUT willful child that he is - he has
decided to run like - well, crap.  I am thinking carb, but I don't know,
maybe timing?  When I got the car it would run but would die after warming if
reved and then let off--no ability to idle at all.  It is running single
Strom, circa '72.  I suspected that was problem when I got it so I put a kit
in, and expected all to be better.  No luck.  The engine sounds "chuffy", and
there is a little valve clatter, so I will have to adjust that. Idle wanders
a bit, won't idle at all below 1000 rpm.  Any ideas from people more familiar
with the Strombergs (I passed up a chance at a brand new one on ebay a couple
of days ago-wish I hadn't now.  I am hoping to get Frank running well enough
to get me through to April or May when I should have a new engine ready.
Joe Garrison