car nearing drive time

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: car nearing drive time
From: Jdgar0649@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 21:41:24 EST
Well, Franky, the seventy twix ('70,72,76 blend) is nearing completion.  If
we just get a little more unseasonablly warm weather!  Engine is
running-wiring ALMOST functional (few problems with hazard lights).  I am
really excited.  Both new gages (ammeter and oil pressure-'70's Smiths from a
lotus-off ebay) are working properly.  Going thru the check list to make sure
every thing is done.

One thing that I did not do, because of time and money limits, was rebuild
the engine.  I have spare 1300 block and one complete spare 1300, and 2 spare
1300 heads, a 1500 block with complete head and some bits. My spring project
will be to rebuild one of the above.  Two requirements- budget must be
reasonable, and I want to build a reasonably performing street engine.  I did
this with my old A-H Sprite. Now my question, --I am leaning towards the the
1300-due to budget, as it is the most complete, (bored a little) with a
milled 1500 head and set of quad Mikuni carbs.  I know that most people run
the 1500 block and go to 1300 heads to increase compression, but, as John K.
noted recently the 1500 head will fit on the 1300, and the 1500 head has
bigger valves and I think that breathing will be important with the Mikunis.

Am I on the right track here?  Is my logic off base, Anyone with experience
in this matter as I will start getting the shop ready for the job as soon as
Franky is on the road.  I would like to start budgeting for the rebuild so I
can start in mid February, when our weather starts to get a little warmer.

Thanks in advance,
Joe Garrison
Edmond, OK