Installed Pacesetter & Monza...'70 Mk3 now runs rough!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Installed Pacesetter & Monza...'70 Mk3 now runs rough!
From: Ar164super@wmconnect.com
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 20:28:36 EST
Hello again (again),

The latest mystery problem in my Spit's saga has arrived. Today, I removed
the stock exhaust and replaced it with the Pacesetter/Monza setup. The
installation itself was a breeze (except for having to file part of the
Pacesetter header to make it fit correctly). Afterwards, however, I started
up the car and noticed immediately that it ran significantly rougher...so
much that the car shakes (not a whole lot, but noticeably) and runs almost
like it's on 3 cylinders. And it wouldn't idle under 2000rpm on its own
unless I continually feathered the throttle. At higher rpms, it smooths out,
and it has as much power as it had before...just runs rougher and won't idle.
As it warms up, the behavior doesn't change significantly. It almost seems
like the timing is off.
First, I checked for any wet plugs, but they were all dry suggesting all were
firing. I also noticed that the plugs were very hot to the touch. Next, I
checked the ignition system for any loose components, but everything was
fine. Finally, with the car choked slightly and idling at around 2000rpm, I
got some starting fluid and checked for false air. I found that there is a
vacuum leak on the bottom of both sides of the intake manifold. Would this be
enough to cause rough running? Tomorrow, I am going to somehow try and
manouever my torque wrench in there to get those bolts to factory specs.
In the meantime, has anyone experienced similar rough running with the
Monza/Pacesetter setup? Is this something that just happens with this system?
Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks in advance,

Adam Rodnitzky
'70 Mk3