Re: Installed Pacesetter & Monza...'70 Mk3 now runs rough!

To: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>, Ar164super@wmconnect.com,
Subject: Re: Installed Pacesetter & Monza...'70 Mk3 now runs rough!
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:35:54 -0800 (PST)
Interesting, the URL for my pix seems to have gotten clipped out. Let me try
again: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/clshore/lst?.dir=/Car+Stuff.view=t--- Carter
Shore  wrote:> --- Ar164super@wmconnect.com wrote:> > ... Today, I removed > >
the stock exhaust and replaced it with the> > Pacesetter/Monza setup. The > >
installation itself was a breeze (except for> having> > to file part of the > >
Pacesetter header to make it fit correctly).> > ...> > I had fitment problems
with my Pacesetter too. The> flange cutouts for the intake manifold flanges
were> too narrow by at least 1/8". I tried several intake> manifolds, and
there's no way they would fit.> I used a carborundum blade in my table saw to
trim> the> excess, some pix are here:> > > Pix 26-27 show the header mods.> > I
also noticed that on the face of the flange, the> material around each port
where it was welded is> about> 0.050" higher. These 'rings' are ground flat, so
it> ought to provide for better sealing, but I noticed> that it was possible to
install the header in a> cocked> position. This might lead to lack of clamping
forces> on the lower portion of the intake manifold flanges,> and so an air
leak.> > It can be a PITA to reach the lower studs, but you> have to first
tighten the 6 nuts equally, just> enough> to hold the two manifolds in place.
Check for square> seating of the header, and that the 'clamps' (4> small> on
top, 2 large on bottom) are positioned correctly.> The little 'bumps' on the
ends should not be near> the> edges of the manifolds. Once you are sure all is
OK,> then tighten each nut a bit at a time, working in> rotation, until you
reach 25 ft-lb.> > Despite these issues, I am pleased overall with the> header,
as it will serve as the basis of some> modifications that I am doing.> > Carter
Shore