FW: Tacho

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Tacho
From: Rick Gregory <rick@ncmg.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:40:54 -0700
The other lead goes to one side of the coil, though I forget which side -
obviously negative or positive, but I can't remember which one. It measures
by the expanding collapsing of the coil charge field as opposed to right of
the high tension lead from the coil to distributor. What I can tell you, is
most analog will take a quick bump in the opposite direction, so if you hook
up the ground, and touch to neg or pos on the coil with the engine running
and if it deflects in the correct direction you're okay, wrong way then
remove immediately! or you will damage the meter. Not a good recommendation
but if you are quick and in a hurry ... otherwise usually a tune-up book for
any older car well tell you which is correct.

HTH

Rick Gregory
'74 Spitfire 1500
Great Falls, Montana